Getting the best deal on a forklift is essential, especially if it is a used one. Whether you are buying from a dealer for the first time or from somewhere that might not be deemed trustworthy, be sure to follow these tips when choosing your used forklift.
- You should always check the age of the machine. This can be done by looking for the serial number, which can be found on the machine’s overhead guard.
- Check the overall condition of the truck.
- Inspect the motors and check the lift cylinders for leaks
- Are the lift chains stretched? Make sure that you are not able to fit a coin between the chain’s links
- Check forklift wheels for slack. If they rattle/shake, this could equal expensive repairs.
One thing you must note is that whether you buy your forklift from a dealer or private, you must always know the age of it.
Some dealers can sell you a certified used forklift. “Certified” means that the forklift is good quality and has passed an inspection.
When you go to buy your used forklift, you should ask some of the following questions to ensure you are getting what you are paying for.
- Are there any maintenance records?
- Was the forklift on a material and time agreement or on a contract?
- Was it part of a fleet of rental machines?
- If it is an electric forklift: is the battery used or new? Ask the same for the battery charger, as well.
- Where did the machine work – indoors or outdoors?
- Can the forklift be in freezer or ambient temperatures
Whether you need a forklift truck for a week or for years we have an extensive range of new and used quality equipment available for immediate hire. Specialising in short-term weekly hire with a minimum 1-week hire term offers an ideal solution for seasonal booms. Check out our hire page for more information or give us a call on 0208 880 3322.